It is our goal at Portsmouth Christian Academy to provide competitive athletic teams that will represent Christ and our school with pride. Our coaches make every effort to teach not only the rules and skills for each sport, but also the rules and skills necessary for life. Portsmouth Christian Academy involves its student-athletes in interscholastic sports in order to glorify and honor God with the talents and abilities He has given. We believe athletics are a great tool to build Christian character, to teach discipline, and to learn how to overcome adversity and challenges with a courageous spirit. PCA understands the invaluable role athletics can have in developing a student-athlete, and is thus committed to continually strengthening the athletic program.
To access Athletic schedules you can use the button below or access it from the “School Calendars” or “Parents” selection in the top right corner of the website. You can sign up for email alerts when changes are made, and you can also download a free app for your phone.
Offseason Basketball Development Programs
9-Week Shooting Clinic
Shooting a basketball well is one of the most difficult skills in all of sports. Coach Brian Marquis will be using curriculum from Better Basketball and USA Basketball to train players to use better mechanics of shooting a basketball with a higher chance of scoring. The course involves a great deal of repetition necessary to build muscle memory. In a weekly, 90-minute session players will learn a specific mechanic and routine that will be used to develop that mechanic in their shot. Players will be asked to spend at least 4 hours per week outside of the 90 minute session (homework) working on these specific drills to maximize their improvement.
- Sessions for players entering grades 5 through 8 meet on Saturdays at 9:00 AM and players should be accompanied by a parent or other adult.
- Sessions for students entering grades 9 through 12 meet on Wednesday nights at 7:00 PM.
- Sessions begin the week of May 12th in the PCA gym and/or annex and will be limited to 10 players per session. The clinic will require a $50 donation to PCA’s basketball program. Questions and requests to sign up your player should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Play>Practice Development Program
We are excited to be hosting Coach BJ Mumford and Play>Practice Basketball to oversee our off-season player development program! Play>Practice is focused on training basketball intelligence through focused play and competitive practice, and will be providing group training programs for PCA students from K-12th grade beginning on May 11th! Students will be grouped as follows: kindergarten through 3rd grade, 4th through 6th grade, and 7th through 12th grade.
- Sessions for players in Kindergarten through 6th grade will meet Tuesdays at 6PM and Saturdays at 3PM in the PCA gym/annex.
- Sessions for players in 7th grade through 12th grade will meet Tuesdays at 7:30 PM and Saturdays at 4:30 PM in the PCA gym/annex.
- Cost is $15 per session as a drop in (register and pay online only), or you can sign up for a monthly membership at $100/ month for a $20 discount for 8 sessions. You can view details and register here or contact email@example.com with any questions.
There are currently 17 different teams being offered at the upper school level (competing in the NHIAA) and 13 teams at the junior high level. Some highlights of PCA’s Athletic Accomplishments include, but are not limited to, State Championships in Basketball (2004 Girls) and Baseball (2010), Individual State Champions in Track and Field, and NHIAA Sportsmanship Banners from 2003, 2006, and 2010. Additional opportunities are available at the Junior Varsity level in girls’ volleyball, and boys’ and girls’ basketball.
PCA Athletic Handbook The PCA Athletic Handbook can be found in Veracross. Use the link above to sign in and the Athletic Handbook can be found in the “Portal Links” Section.